Fearless MARKETING COPYWRITER with over 14 YEARS EXPERIENCE delivering highly effective, response-driven B2B AND B2C MARKETING PROMOTIONS for blue-chip clients wants to build new worlds with YOU.
Keywordcreative.com, LLC – Freelance Copywriter / Editor (August 2012 to present)
I collaborate with in-house and freelance art directors to provide best-in-class marketing promotions for global publishers, B2c and B2C marketing agencies, mail order companies, non-profit organizations, small businesses and more.
Reader’s Digest US – Senior Copywriter (April 2008 to August 2012)
- Collaborated with Art Directors to create winning promotions for a variety of product lines and brands, including Reader’s Digest Magazine, RD Books, RD Music, Weekly Reader, and Reverse Diabetes.
- Created successful print and digital promotions including sales letters, brochures, catalogs, newsletters, email campaigns, banners, and interactive quizzes.
- Successfully adapted global direct mail formats and brochures for the US market.
- Continually achieved a direct response hit rate of over 50%.
- Produced more than 20 ‘Best in Class’ national and global direct mail formats.
Reader’s Digest UK – Creative Copywriter (March 2006 to March 2008)
- Collaborated with Art Directors to conceptualize and create winning direct mail advertising campaigns for Reader’s Digest product lines, including Reader’s Digest Magazine, Catalog, Books, Music and Videos.
- Consistently achieved a direct response hit rate far above my given target of 20%.
- Wrote 5 ‘best in class’ direct mail packages, 1 of which was successfully adapted for the German market.
- Delivered results that got the attention of the US Promotion team who invited me to join their team at the Global Headquarters in New York.
BCA / Bertelsmann UK – Creative Copywriter (Sept 2003 to March 2006)
- Collaborated with Art Directors to create successful promotions for a variety of direct mail Book Club brands, including World Books, Mystery & Thriller Guild, Mango, and Escape Fiction.
- Created customer-focused sales letters, book reviews, editor’s letters, word-searches, competitions, strap lines and headlines for Book Club catalogs, flyers, press ads and websites.
BCA / Bertelsmann UK – Editorial Assistant (June 2001 to Sept 2003)
- Provided editorial, administrative, and planning support to Book Club Editors and Product Managers.
- Liaised directly with publishers and reviewed unpublished manuscripts to establish their suitability for various Book Club brands.
- Acted as a SAP ‘Super-User’ by providing internal database training and support.
Westminster Council UK – Advice and Assessment Officer (May 2000 – May 2001)
- Provided ‘Social Housing’ advice and assessment on a one-to-one basis for homeless people with a variety of social and mental health needs in London.
- Managed and organized the Council’s temporary accommodation bookings, invoice payments, transport co-ordination, client placement, rental accounts, and hotel inspection.
PO2000 Postal Agency SA – Store Manager (Oct 1996 – April 2000)
- Managed a staff of 3, and was responsible for stock control, marketing, point of sale displays, press advertising, and customer service.
Volunteer & Freelance Work USA/UK/SA (1994 to present)
- Volunteer Shark Diver at the Norwalk Maritime Aquarium.
- Worked as a Freelance Copywriter/Consultant for a variety of online clients, including The Passion Coach (UK).
- Worked as a Tour Guide on the Party Bus in London and all around the UK.
- Performed as a Voice Artist for M-NET (South African TV station) and KMA Marketing (South African Marketing Agency).
- Wrote and presented numerous experiential product launches for Music For Pleasure in South Africa (a publishing venture between EMI and publisher, Paul Hamlyn).
- Performed as a Professional Actor in various roles on stage and screen in South Africa, which included playing a character on SA’s longest-running TV soap opera “Egoli”.
- Wrote, produced and performed a live multi-media show called “In Praise of The Shades” to appreciative audiences in SA, England, and recently in the USA. The 45-minute show, set in post-Apartheid SA, tells a coming of age story using original poetry, music and art.
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK) Professional Diploma in Marketing (2004)
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK) Professional Certificate in Marketing (2003)
- AAA School of Advertising (SA) Copywriting Certificate (1999)
- Trinity College London (UK)T.C.L. Certification – Speech & Drama Teacher (1994)
- University of Johannesburg (SA) Graphic Design – First Year Certification (1993)
Creative writing, copy-editing, advertising, branding, blogging, creative collaboration, direct marketing, digital marketing, consumer marketing, performance / experiential marketing, script writing, social media, Microsoft Office, Photoshop.