Expert B2B and direct response storyteller ready to solve complex marketing challenges by crafting long and short form narratives that change perceptions, empower people and accelerate results.
Freelance B2B + Direct Response Copywriter (Aug 2012 to Present)
- Ensure client brands capitalize on the power of their unique voices and editorial styles.
- Collaborate with art directors to develop conceptual approaches that meet client objectives.
- Transform complex concepts and data into clear, concise and easy to understand content.
- Demonstrate keen insights into digital, print, and social marketing platforms.
- Work across teams and easily synthesize input from multiple partners.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously to meet aggressive deadlines.
- Support brands such as Pitney Bowes, Broadridge Financial Solutions, Save the Children, Consumer Reports, Bakker, Guideposts, Dukan Diet, and agencies such as PMG and Arekibo.
Bizmark CT, LLC – B2B Agency Copywriter (December 2016 to April 2017)
- Excelled as a short-hire B2B copywriter for one of America’s most prestigious B2B marketing agencies.
- Crafted bold, persuasive and informative long and short form copy for Fortune 500 clients.
- Explained complex financial and technology products and services in terms that multiple target audiences could easily embrace and understand.
- Wrote thought leadership white papers, case studies, sales collateral, articles, and more.
Reader’s Digest US – Senior Copywriter (April 2008 to August 2012)
- Executed fully integrated campaign ideas for multiple product lines.
- Sold strategic thinking and creative concepts to executive-level stakeholders.
- Delivered exceptional customer experiences via highly targeted print and digital campaigns.
- Adapted numerous foreign-made promotions specifically for the US consumer market.
- Continually achieved an exemplary direct response hit rate of over 50%.
- Produced more than 20 best-in-class national and global direct mail promotion packages.
Reader’s Digest UK – Creative Copywriter (March 2006 to March 2008)
- Created response-driven messaging and creative concepts for numerous product lines.
- Collaborated with art directors on 5 best-in-class sweepstakes packages, 1 of which was successfully adapted for the European market.
- Consistently achieved a direct mail hit rate far above my given target of 20%.
- Demonstrated big, campaign-oriented thinking and exceptional writing skills that led to me being headhunted by the USA Promotion team in New York.
BCA / Bertelsmann UK – Creative Copywriter (Sept 2003 to April 2006)
- Collaborated with Art Directors to create high impact, consumer-focused marketing materials for a variety of market segments.
- Supported department head as assistant team leader overseeing a 10-strong creative team.
BCA / Bertelsmann UK – Editorial Assistant (June 2001 to Sept 2003)
- Provided editorial, administrative, and planning support to book club editors and product managers.
- Acted as a SAP Software Super-User by providing user training and support.
Westminster Council UK – Advice and Assessment Officer (May 2000 – May 2001)
- Administered social housing advice and assessment for homeless people with a variety of social, medical and mental health needs.
- Co-ordinated temporary accommodation bookings, invoice payments, transport arrangements, client placement, rental accounts, and hotel inspection.
PO2000 Postal Agency SA – Store Manager (Oct 1996 – April 2000)
- Managed a staff of 3, and was responsible for stock control, marketing, point of sale displays, press advertising, print and copy services.
Volunteer & Freelance Work USA/UK/SA (1994 to present)
- Volunteer Shark Diver at the Norwalk Maritime Aquarium.
- Freelance Copywriter for a variety of online clients, including The Passion Coach (UK).
- Tour Guide on the Party Bus across the UK.
- Voice Artist for M-NET (South African TV station) and KMA Marketing (South African Marketing Agency).
- Professional Actor in various roles on stage and screen in South Africa, which included playing a character on SA’s longest-running TV soap opera “Egoli”.
- Writer and presenter of numerous live product launches for Music For Pleasure in South Africa (a publishing venture between EMI and publisher, Paul Hamlyn).
- Producer, writer and presenter of a 45-minute multi-media show called “In Praise of The Shades”, which I’ve performed to appreciative audiences in SA, England, and the USA
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK) Professional Diploma in Marketing (2004)
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK) Professional Certificate in Marketing (2003)
- AAA School of Advertising (SA) Copywriting Certificate (1999)
- Trinity College London (UK) A.T.C.L. Certification – Speech & Drama Teacher (1994)
- University of Johannesburg (SA) Graphic Design – First Year Certification (1993)
Thought leadership, creative writing, copy-editing, advertising, branding, blogging, creative collaboration, direct marketing, digital marketing, consumer marketing, performance / experiential marketing, script writing, social media, Microsoft Office, Photoshop.